Have a headache??? I have some answers….
Pounding, throbbing pain shooting up the back of your head….dull, aching pain right through your eye balls…dizziness…and possibly even feeling nauseous? Does this sound like you? Could this be the way you feel when a headache is about to make it’s grand entrance?
I’ve been a Massage Therapist for over 20 years now and I like to think of myself as the “Master Healer” when it comes to headaches. There are so many articles out there and books on why people get headaches. I’m going to classify them into two groups based on my 20 years of healing people from headaches.
The majority of headaches are either caused by a “chemical reaction” in the body, or a result of a “muscular tension issue” that has progressed into something acute and at times has become chronic.
Most people today will naturally reach for an Advil to ease the pain. Some chronic headache suffers will become more dependent upon a prescription drug if the pain is too severe. Others, will suffer in silence and miss work to lay in a dark room all day. Does this sound like you? It doesn’t matter how old you are….anyone can suffer mild to extreme headaches. In my Massage Practice, I’ve treated more people over the years for headaches than any other ailment, or injury. I always ask my clients a few simple questions to try and zero in where the culprit may be.
Reasons why someone would have a Chemical Induced Headache….
1. High salt diet-(eating too many deli meats, going out to eat and eating packaged meals.
2. Drinking too much coffee, or caffeine including soda.
3. Sulfates in the diet, which can be found in processed foods and wine.
4. Result from a prescription drug
5. Lack of water intake
6. Hormones not balanced from sluggish Liver, Digestion, Kidneys and Gallbladder
7. Too much sugar
8. Low blood sugar from skipping meals or not enough proper nutrients that are balanced based on your body type.
9. A certain fragrance, perfume, toxic cleaning products, mold or allergen the body is rejecting.
10. Having too much acidity in the body.
Reasons for Muscular Tension Headaches….
1. Sitting too long and no circulation
2. Too much mental stress
3. Poor posture
4. Weak muscles
5. Injured tissues
6. Over training in the gym, or workouts without proper rest and nutrients to recover.
7. TMJ issues
8. Acute and Chronic tight muscles with no release. Lack of massage and cardio
9. Irritated or impinged nerves from muscle tension and imbalance.
10. Tight clothing (especially around the upper body like a bra, or tight shirt.)
11. Carrying heavy purse, or luggage too much.
12. Leaving your house with hair that is wet.
13. Sleeping with a fan blowing on your neck
14. Bad pillow and bed
15. Bad desk chair and computer placement at work
16. Bad shoes
17. Terrible vision
18. Bad lighting
Read over this list and print it up. See if any of these might be contributing to your headaches. Begin with some small changes first and see if that makes a difference….
With more than 24 years of diverse experience in the health and wellness industry, Jaime has
dedicated her life to caring for and enabling people to increase their overall wellness.