Water and weight loss
While flying high above the clouds, you can really see how amazing and vast the Atlantic Ocean is. Have you ever had the chance to see it this way? Many years ago, I was on a trip to Europe flying over the Atlantic Ocean in the evening. It was during summer and there just so happened to be a full moon. The stars were shining so bright and the light of the moon encompassed the whole ocean with its beaming energy. I was in total awe of its beauty.
This had me thinking about how much water makes up the earth. According to Universe Today, water makes up about 71% of the Earth’s surface, while the other 29% consists of continents and islands. Think about that. It’s funny, because our own human bodies are comprised mainly of water as well, with about 75% being water – depending on age – according to the World Health Organization. Did you know that a slight decrease greater than 2% in water consumption may lead to increased core temperature, decreased aerobic performance, increased heart rate, cardiac strain and impairment of cognitive function? Our bodies need water so much that they will only survive for a few days without it.
Dehydration can lead to everything from mild to life threatening consequences because water regulates body temperature, metabolism, blood volume and assists with liver function. Even though all the other functions are needed, your metabolism will slow if the body is dehydrated – resulting in fatigue and less desire to be physically active. Thirst is not a good indication of your body’s hydration. Typically by the time you’re thirsty, you’ve already reached a dehydrated state. So how much water is enough? A formula I use for someone who isn’t working out and has an average fairly sedentary lifestyle is the consumption of at least half their body weight in ounces. This formula has been around for a long time and was most recently posted through the World Health Organization standards. If you consume higher protein, exercise often or enjoy an hour-long deep tissue massage, your water intake may even double the suggested amount. And, of course, if you work outside and sweat a lot, extra hydration is also important.
There are so many chemical-filled and calorie-laden drinks on the market today. One of my corporate wellness clients has a room in the office filled with every kind of toxic soda and energy drink you can imagine. Every time I use the room, I picture myself opening the caps to all the sodas, diet sodas and bad waters and dumping them down the drain just to save everyone the toxic consumption! In the past, when working with clients, I always made a suggestion to start with alleviating all calorie-laden drinks such as sweet teas, sodas, juices, alcohol and sports drinks. Most people that took on the drink challenge lost about a pound a week without making any other changes to diet or exercise. One pound a week is a lot if you look at it over a three-month period.
There are many ways to get clean water today. You can consider purchasing a reverse osmosis system for your house, and buy BPA-free bottles to fill your water for the day. Keep in mind that the reverse osmosis system does pull a lot of minerals out of the water along with toxic substances, so purchasing alkalizing water tablets at your local health food store is probably a good idea. You want your body to be in an alkaline state to prevent disease. Try to balance that with your water intake. Today, most grocery stores sell BPA-free plastic bottles with water that is alkaline if you’re unable to install a water system in your home. I know some of you in the past, including myself, have purchased distilled water, which helps remove impurities from the body. However, the down side is the plastic bottle that it comes in, and you can almost always taste the plastic is these.
Drinking more water can help by:
- Improving the flow of digestion
- Improving skin tone
- Decreasing appetite since you feel more full
- Fighting fatigue
- Preventing bloat if consuming too much salt
- Cleansing out toxins and assisting your kidneys
I hope you leave this post inspired to eliminate, or decrease, toxic fluids from your diet. Think about increasing your water intake according to your body weight and activity level, shoot for the most alkaline water possible with BPA-free bottles to avoid fake estrogens, and consider starting your day out by drinking one glass of clean water with a freshly squeezed organic lemon in it. This will help promote liver function early in the morning. Now go have a drink of water on me!
With more than 24 years of diverse experience in the health and wellness industry, Jaime has
dedicated her life to caring for and enabling people to increase their overall wellness.