Using Toxic Dish Detergent?
There’s no better way to get a sink full of dirty dishes cleaned quickly than using your dishwasher. When I was a kid, we lived with my Grandmother and we didn’t have the luxury of having a dishwasher back in the day. For some people, that might not sound like a big deal, but if you were like my family who cooked every meal….washing dishes by hand wasn’t something I looked forward to. My mother still today despite having a dishwasher still washes every dish by hand.
If you’re busy and running a house full of people, you probably like to use your dishwasher at least once a day? I would hope that most of you are cooking most of your meals at home. I would assume if you’re trying to eat healthy you would probably want to know what your dishes are being washed with?
It took me many years to convert most of all my food from Conventional to Organic Food. Once I started changing my food, I began to change other things in my house as well. I used to be a huge cleaning fanatic back in the day. I would buy the most toxic bleach and even use those nice smelling Glade Plug Air Fresheners. Remember those? I would spend hours cleaning most of my house from top to bottom on the weekend with the most toxic chemicals. I would pride myself on the shine and the smell of fresh smelling bleach all through the house. By the end of the day, I would have a pounding headache and would feel extremely dizzy. The dog was even sick and he would look at me like he wanted to vomit.
It took me awhile to switch each item in my house to toxic free and all natural cleaning products. Cancer is so prevalent today and we not only consume a lot of our toxic chemicals from our food, but we also absorb a lot of it from simple products we use everyday in our homes.
So where can we start with you today? I think you should change your dish detergent this week. When I was using Cascade and even Dawn Dish Detergent, I would always see a funny residue left on the dishes that would never come out. As I was changing all my Organic Food in the house, my taste buds were changing and it was becoming easier for me to taste chemicals on the plates and glasses after they were washed. So I decided to look into what was in the Conventional Dish Detergent. This what I found in a short summary of just the top 3 harmful chemicals….
Methylistothiazolinone-Preservative that can cause an allergic reaction to some people. It was tested and found to be a Neurotoxin by the Environmental Working Group on brain cells of mammals.
Phthalates: These chemicals are in a lot of our makeup products and plastic products. They’re known in many studies to be huge estrogen and testosterone disruptors.
Propylene Glycol: This chemical is used in anti-freeze for car radiators and is used in dish detergents. Studies show it’s been linked to liver and kidney dysfunction.
Those are just 3 chemicals that I listed in some of your most popular brands of dish detergent. Will you still use them? I hope not!
What do I use? I will usually buy the toxic free Seventh Generation Dish Detergent at Target. It’s free of dyes, fragrances and chlorine. You may also pick up the other chemical free more natural products there by Method as well. It won’t cost you that much more. Try and find coupons online. Amazon has some pretty good deals as well on natural cleaning products.
Hopefully some of you will use this easy and helpful tip. Think about how many times you use your toxic dish detergent in a month. Than, think about that residue being absorbed into your body when you eat off your dishes. It might not be such a big deal once or twice…but what if it’s month after month for several years? How important are your kidneys and your liver to you? Your kidneys and your liver are the two main filtering organs of your body. Be kind to them.
With more than 24 years of diverse experience in the health and wellness industry, Jaime has
dedicated her life to caring for and enabling people to increase their overall wellness.